30th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr Memorial Convocation
Please join us
- Speaker: Dr. Freeman Hrabowski,III
- Date: 7 p.m., Thursday, February 6, 2014
- Location: Santa Cruz Civic Auditorium
- The event is free and open to the public.
- The 2014 Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Convocation will feature Dr. Freeman Hrabowski,III, president of the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, since 1992.
In his talk, entitled “The Role of Youth in the Civil Rights Movement: Reflections on Birmingham,” Dr. Hrabowski will share his perspective on the Civil Rights movement – including the experience of being jailed for participating in the Children’s March in his hometown of Birmingham, Alabama – and insights from a career in education.
Also featuring performances by
Tony Hill Memorial Award
Members of the Santa Cruz and UCSC community are invited to nominate outstanding individuals for the Tony Hill Memorial Award. The recipient will be recognized at the convocation.
Criteria for nomination: The individual is actively engaged in the needs of the community and seeks to provide tools to work toward a solution. The individual demonstrates hands-on service that results in building connections among diverse groups, promoting equality and justice. The individual’s activities reflect innovative or unique approaches to solving social problems.
The deadline for the Tony Hill award nomination is January 10, 2014.