First 50 Celebration, UCSC Farm & Garden
July 28–30, 2017
Center for Agroecology & Sustainable Food Systems
The First Fifty Celebration’s three days of events combine an engaging lineup of speakers, workshops, tours, and music, with great local food and time for mingling with old-timers and newcomers to the sustainable agriculture community. Join us for part or all of this 50th anniversary event! For those who want to come a day early, there will be a special work party in the Chadwick Garden on July 27.
Weekend at a Glance
On Thursday, July 27
- Rock wall building work party at the Alan Chadwick Garden—drop in between 10 a.m.–4 p.m. (light lunch included).
On Friday, July 28
- Friday morning Early Bird Fun 8–11 a.m.: Help with the harvest and more at the Farm & Garden.
- Take a tour of the Alan Chadwick Garden, 1–3 p.m. with Orin Martin
- Reception from 4–6 p.m. at the UCSC Farm’s Ocean View field, with remarks by CASFS staff and Farm & Garden supporters, and guided tours. Appetizers from organic caterers Feel Good Foods and wine from local wineries.
- On Friday evening, enjoy a casual, no-host dinner starting at 6:30 p.m. at the new Cowell Ranch Hay Barn (next to the UCSC Farm). Share your Farm & Garden/CASFS memories at a “Story Slam.”
On Saturday, July 29
- “Fog-Lift” Gathering in the Alan Chadwick Garden, 8–9:30 a.m. Free; light breakfast along with readings, talks, and more at this special celebration—where it all began 50 years ago.
- Symposium 10 a.m.-noon and Lunch-time Learning 12-1:30 p.m. at Stevenson College, featuring CASFS and Farm & Garden alumni, staff, and faculty.
- Workshops and tours take place Saturday afternoon led by CASFS staff, faculty, and Apprenticeship alumni—in and around the Farm and the Garden (see options on Saturday details page).
- The Hay Barn Banquet, 5:30–7:30 p.m., featuring chefs and food hero speakers Alice Waters and CheFarmer Matthew Raiford (apprenticeship alum). Enjoy pre-dinner tours and a wine tasting hosted by Pam Storrs of Storrs Winery & Vineyards and friends. Afterwards, stay and dance!
On Sunday, July 30
Sunday afternoon guided field trips to outstanding Apprenticeship alumni farms in the Pescadero region. Options include visits to Blue House Farm and Fifth Crow Farm, or to Pie Ranch.